William Smeed was the first child of William Smeed & Elizabeth Wood born August 7th, 1838 & christened September 16th, 1838 at St Anne Soho, Westminster, London.
In 1841 William & his parents were living at Isabella Street, Lambeth along with his younger brother John.
The family were still living at Isabella St. in 1851 & William now had a brother & 2 sisters.
William married Mary Bafield on December 23rd, 1860 at St Martin in the Field, London. Mary was born c1834 in St Lukes, Middlesex, the daughter of Eliza & John Bafield, a carpenter.
In 1861 William & Mary were living at King St, St Anne, Westminster & William was a wire worker.
By 1871 they were living at 63 King St, Lambeth & William was still a wire worker. They had 3 children at home – Mary (9), Elizabeth (5) & William (1).
By 1881 the family had moved to 58 James St, Lambeth & William was now a beerhouse keeper at the Pencutters Arms. Daughter Mary was working as a servant in the bar & daughter Elizabeth was also at home.
Daughter Elizabeth married widower John Thomas Gorvin, an engine fitter, on February 28th, 1886 at St Nicholas, Plumstead, Greenwich. One of the witnesses at the wedding was Mary Smeed.
William & Mary were living at 102 Wyke Rd, St Mary, Stratford-le-Bow, London in 1891 & William was still a beerhouse keeper. Their daughter Mary, & her husband Alfred Cole, were living with them & Mary was assisting her father at the inn. Alfred was a wheelwright.
William died on April 6th, 1892 at Wyke Rd & administration of his will was granted to daughter Mary Cole. His effects were £10.
The children of William Smeed & Mary Bafield were:
sm.1.1.1 Mary Smeed born Oct-December 1861 in Lambeth, London
sm.1.1.2 Elizabeth Catherine Smeed born Oct-December 1865 in Lambeth, London; died July-September 1902 in Lambeth
sm.1.1.3 Charlotte Ann Smeed born April-June 1867 in Lambeth, London; died April-June 1867 in Lambeth
sm.1.1.4 William Smeed born July-September 1869 in Lambeth, London; died April-June 1875 in Lambeth
sm.1.1.5 Emily Smeed born April-June 1874 in Lambeth, London; died April-June 1874 in Lambeth