John Knaggs Lister was the second child of Richard Wheatley Pattison Lister & Mary Ann Knaggs born May 28th, 1865 at Lazenby, Yorks & christened September 3rd, 1865 at Wilton By Redcar, Yorks.
At the time of the 1871 census John was still living with his parents & family at East St, Lazenby & he was still living at home in 1881, now at Knaggs St, Lazenby.
By 1891 John (listed as Lester in census) was an innkeeper at the Nags Head Inn, Lazenby. With him was his younger brother Richard, a scholar. The Nag’s Head Inn was formerly known as The Lowther Arms after Sir John Lowther of Wilton Castle. It was sold to John Knaggs (John’s maternal grandfather) who renamed it “The Naggs” after which it became known as The Naggs Head.
John died, aged 30, on April 22nd, 1897, while still the inn keeper at The Nag’s Head. He was buried on April 24th at St Cuthbert’s, Wilton. Administration of his estate was granted on November 29th, 1897 to brother Joseph Fleming Lister, a joiner. His effects were £380.